Fort Takapuna Historic Reserve is located at the head of the Rangitoto Channel in the Hauraki Gulf.
Fort Takapuna, was built between 1886 and 1889 as a military defence fort. It was designed by Major Tudor Boddam, a Royal Artillery Officer.
The fort originally housed two 6 inch disappearing guns and two quick firing Nordenfelt guns.
In 1926-27 the fort was converted into a storage for naval ammunition. The guns were removed and the gunpits roofed over to allow for extra storage. It was used for storage until 1936 when the new Naval Armament Depot was built at Kauri Point.
The brick building was were the soldiers lived. When it was first built there was a deep ditch around it. It has since been filled in and only the small part in front of the barracks remains.
Behind the barracks there was a series of underground tunnels and magazines.
View original post 125 more words